Hiring: Managing Director
Hello! Thank you for your interest in the Managing Director position. Read the following carefully. Then, click the APPLY tab directly to the left, fill out the form and submit your resume/cover letter. Thank you!
The Neo-Futurists seek Managing Director
The Neo-Futurists are seeking a full-time Managing Director to execute overall strategic and operational responsibilities for the organization’s staff, programs, external relations, and resource development. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Managing Director partners with the Artistic Director of this ensemble-driven organization to uphold the company’s mission, supporting its dedication to new, collectively-produced experimental theater.
This role will have significant leadership responsibilities and would be perfect for someone who loves implementation and execution of a variety of projects, is excited about building new growth strategies, and is experienced in the creative industries. This role requires an understanding and passion for The Neo-Futurists’ unique brand of non-illusory performance, displayed primarily through their weekly, ongoing show, The Infinite Wrench. The Managing Director is expected to lead and strategize to implement practices of accessibility, equity and inclusion in all aspects of the organization.
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing programmatic execution and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; establish timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals
- Actively engage and energize The Neo-Futurists’ board members, ensemble, alumni, partnering organizations, funders, and other stakeholders; with the Artistic Director, facilitate, build and maintain consensus amongst the Ensemble toward vision, mission, and values
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as primary staff liaison for each committee; seek and build board involvement around key organization priorities
- Support programmatic decision-making; provide the artistic ensemble with regular updates regarding organizational health and performance; craft budgets and financial scenarios for artistic projects
- Hire, contract, and manage administrative staff, consultants, and vendors; draft and execute all artist and production contracts
- Protect the fiscal health of the organization while executing day-to-day monetary activities including payroll, accounts payable, bookkeeping, budget oversight, payment systems, and accounts receivable
Fundraising & Communications:
- Develop and execute marketing and PR strategies to grow audience participation in Neo-Futurist programming
- Secure contributed revenue from individual and institutional sources through grants, multi-channel appeals, peer-to-peer fundraisers, and special events
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
The Managing Director will be thoroughly committed to The Neo-Futurists’ mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, administration, and relationship management experience. Ideal candidates have experience in consensus building practices.
Specific requirements include:
- 2+ years of experience in the nonprofit and/or creative sector, with a practical understanding of the challenges faced by leaders of small nonprofits with budgets under $500,000. Work, volunteer, academic, and other life experience are all acceptable.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Marketing, public relations, and/or fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Quickbooks Online (or equivalent systems), E-Trade (or equivalent systems), and CRM database systems. Experience with Salesforce/PatronManager is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with all people of the organization
- Idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, compassion, and self-directed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- This is a full-time, exempt position paying mid-to-high $30,000s.
- Paid time off, paid holidays, and some flexibility in work schedule.
- Medical insurance stipend provided monthly.
Click on the tab “APPLY” on the top-left side of this page. Fill out the online form, and upload your resume and cover letter. Inquiries can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please do not call the office).
The deadline to apply has passed – contact email@example.com for any questions.
ABOUT THE NEO-FUTURISTS:
The Neo-Futurists are a collective of wildly productive writer/director/performers who create theater that is a fusion of sport, poetry, and living newspaper. Their unique style of non-illusory, interactive performance has established them as one of the most respected theater companies in the country. Since their inception in 1988, The Neo-Futurists have been delivering immediate, unreproducible events. The company enters its 30th anniversary season, and the ensemble continues to write, perform and direct their work through their flagship, weekly show, The Infinite Wrench.